The Certification and Environmental Specialist position is responsible for ensuring that all necessary Management System processes are adequately implemented and continually maintained at the local site to ensure standards are met for initial certification, surveillance and re-certification. Initial focus will be in the areas of Quality, Food Safety and Environmental with additional focus on Energy and Work Environment.
In this role, you will coordinate with project teams and functional managers on site to ensure effective management system implementation. You will be a member of the EHS team and will be a contributing member to the environmental team through ownership of environmental focus programs.
- Promote and lead a safe work.
- Assure environmental, health and safety compliance with the objective of achieving zero incidents.
- Work with and support site teams to implement system requirements for ISO programs (initial focus on Quality, Food Safety and Environmental, with additional focus on Energy and Work Environment) including policies, procedures, work instructions and training.
- Foster and encourage teamwork relationships on site.
- Assess current work processes to ensure ISO programs are established and maintained.
- Coordinate or provide training to employees developing the Management System process and related documentation to ensure an adequate understanding of standards.
- Oversee the document control function for local site.
- Develop and maintain Management Review schedule and Agenda, publish minutes of Management Review meetings and follow-up on any necessary outputs or related corrective.
- Plan, arrange, and undertake Internal Audits for site.
- Coordinate schedules for internal audits and ensure auditors are properly trained.
- Support external audits on site.
- Manage recordkeeping and reporting activities required to comply with all environmental requirements and corporate policies while meeting all reporting deadlines.
- Maintain data and calculations to understand mill emissions, to complete regulatory submittals and support strategic decisions and evaluations of emerging regulations.
- Coordinate testing activities to perform compliance tests and engineering studies, as required.
- Oversee programs to ensure proper QA/QC protocols are observed and reporting complies with state and federal requirements.
- Work with mill Operations, Maintenance, and Engineering Departments to review projects for potential environmental impacts.
- Interact with contractors and consultants, when needed, for sampling, testing and other complex activities.
- Interact with regulatory agencies regarding routine report submittal and follow-up.
- Provide mill technical support for environmental performance, regulatory compliance, process troubleshooting, and continuous improvement.
- Enforce adherence to safe work practices, good housekeeping, provide follow-up and correction of unsafe acts and conditions, and actively participate in departmental safety programs and meetings.
Minimum Required Skills:
- Detail oriented with a strong interest in program management and continuous improvement.
- Strong organizational skills with a structured approach to problem solving.
- Ability to incorporate Risk Based Thinking throughout the entirety of the Mill's management system.
- Adept at taking initiative and driving results.
- Strong internal drive to work independently, but also enjoys working on a team.
- Goal oriented Demonstrated leadership skills including the ability to interact effectively with all levels of personnel.
- An ability to lead through influence.
- Good communications skills, both written and oral.
- Knowledge of ISO Certification programs (Environmental, Quality, Food Safety, Energy and Work Environment).
- Experience with auditing ISO programs Experience with system implementation.
- Understanding of pulp, paper and packaging processes.
- Potential travel between the NA manufacturing facilities.
Minimum Required Experience and Education:
- Associates degree in pulp and paper science, engineering, environmental sciences, sustainability or related field.
- Preferably 5+ years of experience within the quality/environmental/sustainability sector or the pulp and paper manufacturing industry.
- A passion to be a changemaker in the area of program management by challenging conventional processes and driving continuous improvement.
Key competencies that are critical for this role:
- Communicates effectively.
- Directs work.
- Optimizes work processes.
- Builds, networks, plans and aligns.
- Drives results.
- Ensures accountability.
Billerud provides paper and packaging materials that challenge conventional packaging for a sustainable future. We are a world leading company in superior paper and packaging materials made from virgin fiber – passionately committed to sustainability, quality, and customer value.
Fill out the online application here: https://jobs.silkroad.com/BNA/Careers/Apply/MultiForm/237