The Lumber Inspector effectively inspects all four sides of lumber to determine lumber grade, length, and species in accordance with all applicable quality, safety, and industry standards.
- Grade lumber for color, width, length, and thickness per NHLA standards
- Mark lumber for cut-off or ripping to maximize grade value.
- Make decisions to rip boards or send back to edger.
- Monitor quality of lumber for thickness variations, miscuts, saw tooth marks, and other machine induced defects.
- Meet or exceed production goals.
- Supervise staff when department supervisor is not present.
- Proactively communicate and work with others on the line to ensure quality, efficiency and safety.
- Knowledge of wood products industry
- Demonstrated knowledge of NHLA standards
- Ability to manage stress and prioritize multiple priorities.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment that may be loud, dusty, hot or cold.
- Ability to perform physically demanding, repetitive tasks; manual dexterity with the ability to move quickly.
- Good eyesight
- 5+ years’ experience in a lumber manufacturing environment
- NHLA Facility Grade Certification or the ability to obtain.
- Basic reading, writing and arithmetic.
Sign on Bonus, Monthly Production Bonus, Competitive Wage, Health, Dental, Vision, Life, Short Term Disability, 401K, Vacation and Holidays
Northern Hardwoods is an integrated hardwoods products company that manages the entire forest-to-products process, from harvesting timber to the production of hardwood lumber, pulpwood, and veneer logs in a State-Of-The-Art Hardwood Sawmill. Northern Hardwoods prides itself on its one-of-a-kind white hard maple. The company has capabilities to Surface 2 Sides (S2S) all its products, along with Straight Line Rip One Edge and Rip to Width. Northern Hardwoods specializes in slow drying pre-dry and kiln operation, sustainable forest management, and ripped to width lumber strips. Please visit our website www.northernhardwoods.com to learn more about the company.
Northern Hardwoods is a portfolio organization of the J.M. Longyear family of companies. Headquartered in Marquette, Michigan, J.M. Longyear is a privately held asset-based manager with 150 years of experience growing long-term value. Longyear's interests span a vast spectrum of markets that include forestry and land management, mining & metals, hardwood products, manufacturing, real estate, and medical device products. Please visit www.jmlongyear.com for more information.